- Main source for fresh water.
- Plants and Animal Irrigation.
- Food production (Fishing).
- Transporting & Shipping (goods & trees).
- Source of energy, operate watermills, hydroelectric plants.
- Supply of coarse, sediments, sand for construction.
- Main location for cities and villages, and towns, all over the world.
- Natural boundaries between countries and states.
- A place for Rapid sports as kayaking
ALLAH, by his mercy, created the rivers with such great benefits for humans’ life on Earth, and he mentioned such favor in the following verse, that he creates the rivers and being of such great service unto us, so that we use them and this covers more than eating or drinking from them only:
Allah is He Who created the heavens and the earth, and causeth water to descend from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you, and maketh the ships to be of service unto you, that they may run upon the sea at His command, and hath made of service unto you the rivers; [14:32]
And the two seas (i.e. Sea & River) are not alike: this, fresh, sweet, good to drink, this (other) bitter, salt. And from them both ye eat fresh meat and derive the ornament that ye wear. And thou seest the ship cleaving them with its prow that ye may seek of His bounty, and that haply ye may give thanks. [35:12]